CLASSIC ROCK – The New Wave of Traditional Metal
Posted by Metal Misfit
Classic Rock – The New Wave of Traditional Metal (June 2009, Future Publishing)
1. “Girls Made of Heavy Metal” by Hysterica … 3:09
2. “Chained Up In Chains” by Cauldron … 5:09
3. “Stuka Squadron” by Stuka Squadron … 7:24
4. “High Speed GTO” by White Wizzard … 3:57
5. “Dig Your Grave” by The Green River Project … 4:33
6. “Like the Oar Strikes the Water” by Grand Magus … 3:14
7. “Celtica” by Celtic Legacy … 4:29
8. “Silver Bullet” by Powerdrive … 5:57
9. “Raise Your Fist Evangelist” by Powerwolf … 4:00
10. “The Heavens Cry Out” by The Devil’s Blood … 5:22
11. “Born of Thunder” by Destroy Destroy Destroy … 3:53
12. “If Crimson Was Your Colour” by Witchcraft … 3:49
13. “We Are The Hammer” by Savage Blade … 4:36
14. “Fake” by Crowning Glory … 4:49
With bands hand picked by legendary rock journalist Geoff Barton, this is a free compilation CD that came along with June 2009 issue of the UK magazine Classic Rock and it absolutely is well worth the $9.99 cover price. If you have trouble trying to force yourself to spend $10 on a magazine, just imagine you’re spending that ten bucks on a GREAT compilation and you get a complimentary magazine to go along with it.
I’ve been aware of Classic Rock for some time, but never read it. Magazines just cost too much these days and the internet always has the quick fix for info and articles, but I took a chance on the magazine this month (I guess B&N is a bit behind on issues?). Luckily, Barnes & Noble had ONE COPY left where the CD hadn’t been peeled off the cover yet.
I’m enjoying just about all of these songs. As you might have guessed from the title, these bands have a more old school heavy metal sound that’s rooted in NWOBHM and ’80s metal in general. Perhaps “NWOTM” will become the new buzzword in the metal world (it was coined by Classic Rock’s sister publication Metal Hammer). If these bands are indeed a part of this “new wave”, then I’m ready to hang ten! Yes. That was very cheesy of me.
Seriously, I know this was a free sampler CD, but I’m loving it and I intend to track down more info and songs from each and every one of these bands (though I was already familiar with Cauldron and White Wizzard).
Highlights: “Girls Made of Heavy Metal” (The beginnings of a GMOHM movement?), “Chained Up In Chains”, “High Speed GTO”, “Dig Your Grave”, “Like The Oar Strikes The Water”, “Silver Bullet”, “Raise Your First Evangelist”, “Fake”
Posted on August 22, 2009, in Compilations and tagged Cauldron, Celtic Legacy, Classic Metal, Crowning Glory, Destroy Destroy Destroy, Grand Magus, Heavy Metal, Hysterica, Metal, NWOBHM, NWOTM, Powerdrive, Powerwolf, Rock & Roll, Rock 'N' Roll, Savage Blade, Stuka Squadron, The Devil's Blood, The Green River Project, White Wizzard, Witchcraft. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.